+353 21 4551522

[email protected]

Visa Information

Travelling to Ireland for Study

Citizens of certain countries who wish to pursue a course of study in Ireland must apply for a visa to enter Ireland before they travel here.

 Visa applicants must apply online for their visa - see 'How to apply'. If you wish to study in Ireland for less than 3 months you should apply for a 'C study visa'. If your course lasts longer than 3 months, you should apply for a 'D study visa'. Generally speaking, the duration of a 'C study visa', is not extended once you have arrived in Ireland. Extensions will be granted in exceptional cases only. It's very important, therefore, to make sure you know the duration of your course before you apply for a visa. Further information on how to apply to extend a student visa is under 'How to apply' below.

You will need to provide the following documents with your visa application. (Please remember, original documents are required and must be in English or accompanied by a authorised translation):

  • Letter of acceptance from a recognised school/college/university in Ireland confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study. This course of study must be full-time (lasting an academic year) and have a minimum of 15 hours per week study time.
  • Evidence of your academic ability to pursue the chosen course through the English language (unless it is an English language course).
  • Evidence that the fees for the course have been paid in full.
  • Evidence that you have enough funds (€7,000) to maintain yourself for the initial part of your stay.
  • Evidence that you or a sponsor have access to at least €7,000 for each subsequent year of your studies, in addition to the course fees for each of those years.
  • Evidence that you have private medical insurance
  • An explanation of any gaps in your educational history
  • Confirmation that you intend to return to your country of permanent residence when you leave Ireland.

Access to Employment While in Ireland on a Student Visa

Citizens from countries outside the EU/EEA (that is, the 25 EU member states and Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) who are registered as full-time students with the Garda National Immigration Bureau are permitted to work part-time in Ireland (up to a maximum of 20 hours a week and full-time during vacation periods) to support themselves.

Renewal of Student Visas

Students who are not on full-time courses of at least a year leading to a recognised qualification will only be allowed to extend their study visas when the total period of permissions granted (and requested) is no longer than 18 months in total.

Extending a Student Visa

The local immigration officer in your area (Garda National Immigration Bureau if in Dublin) can advise you on any application forms you will need to complete in order to extend your student visa. Your application to extend your visa should contain the following information:

  • Details and proof of payment of course/study fees.
  • Details of the course of study.
  • Information on where you will live.
  • Evidence that you are self-sufficient.
  • Copy of your passport with your original study visa.
  • Visa reference number and your nationality.
  • Details of attendance if this is a further education course.

For more information check out the Citizens Information and Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Services Website

quote Thanks for everything! I’ve spent a wonderful 3 months here in Cork English College. See you soon!

Kristina, Russia

quote I can’t believe this 2 weeks went by so quickly. Staying here really feels like home. Thanks a million.

Mariko, Japan
Online Test

Get in touch

Our friendly team are available on e-mail, telephone and Skype, and you can call in to meet us at our offices on St Patrick’s Bridge in the heart of Cork city centre. We answer all queries and bookings within 24 hours. We are here to help you and we operate a round the clock service to clients in case of emergency. We are looking forward to hearing from you!

+353 21 4551522

[email protected]